Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Honoring Thy Mother

A colleague and I were just talking the other day and I mentioned that Mother's Day is coming up.....and fast!  You know what that means, time to start working on Mother's Day gifts with my class.  Thankfully, a few years ago I started doing a project and have done it ever since.  It's simple, thoughtful, cheap cost efficient, and there has never been a mother who hasn't LOVED it!  So I know you can't take the suspense anymore..................right?


Okay, here's what I do with my 5th graders.  First I give them an assignment to write a poem for their mother.  It can be an acrostic poem spelling out MOTHER or their mother's first name.  Or it can be a cinquain.  To be honest, it can really be whatever moves the student. I don't require that they rhyme but many of my students end up doing so anyway.  After they are done writing their poems, next I proofread them and have the kids make any corrections. Once they are perfect, they type the poems up on the computer and format it with the font and text color of their choice.

After the poem is complete, I take a picture of each of my students.  These pictures are printed along with the poem and placed in a frame which I purchase.  What I love about these frames is they are a heavy glass and give a feeling of expensive. However, I will let you in on a little secret.......they are NOT expensive at all!!!  I get all my Mother's Day frames at the 99 cent store or the Dollar Tree.  I'm not kidding!  These frames are really a buck or less.  I just add it to my growing list of things I already spend out of pocket. But in my opinion, these are so worth it. The students are so proud to take them home and like I said before - the moms love them.  I wrap the frames up in tissue paper for my students with a bow and they take them home.

Moms cry and weep......and send me emails about how much they love them. :-)  What do you do for Mother's Day gifts?  Share below.


Be sure to check back in a few weeks for my idea for a fabulous Father's Day gift.


After writing this post, Maria from Kinder-Craze told me about the Linky Party she is having for Mother's Day. Be sure to check it out for more Mother's Day ideas!  

9 comments:

  1. Funny, I was just talking to a colleague about Mother's Day today. I have not quite settled on an idea yet but I have a few that I am tossing around.
    I have blogged my initial thoughts on my own blog.
    I love your acrostic poems. I wonder if that would be too tricky for my Year 2s to do with their mum's name - we could just stick to "MUM"
    Jane
    The Learning Curve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what age Year 2s are but I can tell you that even my writers who struggle the most have a pretty easy time with this assignment. I guess when it comes down to it, they just know why they love their Mom.... :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm hosting a Mother's Day Linky Party on my blog. I would love for you to come link up!

    http://kindercraze.blogspot.com/2012/04/its-mothers-day-linky-party.html

    Maria
    Kinder-Craze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - thanks! I'm going to link up right now. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for linking up! I've "pinned" a photo from your post onto my Mother's Day board!

      Maria
      Kinder-Craze

      Delete
  3. TOTALLY looking for those frames! Thanks for the idea- I like combining the poem AND photo!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are by far the nicest frames I've ever bought for this project. And the fact they cost a $1 was so awesome!! I wish I had bought 100 when I had the chance. Let me know if you do this project and how it turns out.

      Delete
  4. Wow - great idea! I'll have to go check out my local Dollar Store soon. Thanks for sharing!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...